The Silver Grille Café was opened in 1945, in the Hotel Casey, by Charlie Kelson who had purchased the hotel building in 1942. Kelson sold the building to Mr. Chisholm in 1946, but retained ownership of the café. Kelson sold the café business in 1950, and the new owners created a Chinese-American food restaurant.
In 1947, Agnes Felch purchased Bang’s Realty and occupied office space in the Hotel Casey building. This receipt shows she had purchased food from the Silver Grill (Grille) Café on April 22, 1949.
The Hotel Casey building is the oldest building in Bonners Ferry. The wooden structure still remains with an added brick façade. The building houses The Dressing Room and Kaiser Insurance.
• • •
Your Boundary County Historical Society and Museum, 7229 Main, Bonners Ferry, Idaho sponsors this column. Come visit the Museum! Museum Winter Hours are Fridays and Saturdays, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Visit the website at www.boundarycounty museum.org or the Museum’s Facebook Page for historical photos and stories, and to see upcoming events. Or we can be reached at email@example.com or telephone 208-267-7720.