BONNERS FERRY — On Sunday night, around 10 p.m., North Bench Fire, with mutual aid from South Boundary Fire, responded to a chimney fire on Oxford Loop. The fire had spread into the structure by the time fire crew arrived.
According to North Bench Fire Chief Gus Jackson, they were able to get the fire under control within about 30 minutes, due to the quick action of the homeowner reporting the fire to 9-1-1.
“This is a great example of early 9-1-1 activation which allows us to help the residents in the case of a fires,” said Jackson. “The fire was a really good save due to the early call. That goes to show when you call 9-1-1 right away, it gives us a huge advantage.”
Due to the construction of the house, firefighters remained on scene for quite a while, working on salvage and overhaul. There were no injuries.
The firefighters had not had a chance to go home before being called to a second fire, this one around 3:20 a.m. on Monday. According to Jackson, homeowners on Homestead Loop were awakened by an explosion coming from their shed.
North Bench Fire was canceled, but proceeded to the scene to make sure everything was under control
Jackson said the fire was out, just some smoke when they arrived. They discovered butane bottles, which may have exploded in the fire, causing the whole shed to shift.
“It self extinguished,” said Jackson about the fire. “It definitely put itself out with its own blast.”
The firefighters from North Bench Fire and South Boundary Fire, along with crews from Boundary Ambulance had a long night, finishing after 4 a.m. on Monday.
“We appreciated the mutual aid,’ said Jackson.