Chimney fire squelched on Westside Road

Print Article

  • Photo by MANDI BATEMAN South Boundary Firefighter Allen Merritt prepares to join the other firefighters on the scene at the fire on Westside Road.

  • 1

    Photo by MANDI BATEMAN Firefighters responded to a chimney on Westside Road last Saturday.

  • 2

    Photo by NORTH BENCH FIRE North Bench Fire Chief said that it is important this time of year to have chimneys cleaned and make sure they are properly installed.

  • Photo by MANDI BATEMAN South Boundary Firefighter Allen Merritt prepares to join the other firefighters on the scene at the fire on Westside Road.

  • 1

    Photo by MANDI BATEMAN Firefighters responded to a chimney on Westside Road last Saturday.

  • 2

    Photo by NORTH BENCH FIRE North Bench Fire Chief said that it is important this time of year to have chimneys cleaned and make sure they are properly installed.

BONNERS FERRY — On Saturday, Jan. 4, shortly after 8 p.m. North Bench Fire, with auto aid from South Boundary Fire and Paradise Valley Fire, responded to a call about a chimney fire on Westside Road.

“We arrived on scene and found that the chimney fire had extended into the roof space,” said North Bench Fire Chief Gus Jackson.

Jackson explained that it was a confined space fire, so crews worked to expose the fire so that it could be effectively extinguished.

“The fire started through a hole in the roof, which then burned inwards toward the house,” said Jackson, after an investigation on Sunday.

With chimney fire a potential hazard this time of year, Jackson said that many of them can be prevented.

“We would like to remind everyone to please have your chimneys cleaned and serviced annually to prevent accidental fires and to keep your home and occupants safe,” said Jackson. “Also make sure that your wood stove has proper distance around it and the stove pipe, and that they meet the manufacturer’s specifications and requirements.”

A further warning from Jackson concerned what people may consider a small chimney fire, that they feel they can take care of themselves. He recommends always taking action if a house has even a minor chimney fire.

“Any chimney fire has the potential to spread beyond the pipe and cause damage or loss to the property or home,” said Jackson.

Print Article

Read More Local News

Sheriff’s marine program receives second boat

January 16, 2020 at 6:00 am | Bonners Ferry Herald BONNERS FERRY — In the Jan. 1 BNSF train derailment, where the front locomotive ended up in the Kootenai River with the conductor and engineer initially trapped inside, the Boundary County Sheriff’s ...

Comments

Read More

Firefighters build equipment to meet needs of community

January 16, 2020 at 6:00 am | Bonners Ferry Herald COPELAND — Firefighters use a lot of water for efforts aimed at extinguishing many of the types of fires inherent within this geographical area. According to insider.com, Class A types of fire fueled...

Comments

Read More

Panhandle aerial wildlife surveys scheduled for January

January 16, 2020 at 6:00 am | Bonners Ferry Herald Low-flying helicopters and airplanes will be circling over Panhandle forests during January as part of Fish and Game’s big game monitoring. Biologists will be looking for some of northern Idaho’s m...

Comments

Read More

KVRI grizzly bear meeting

January 16, 2020 at 6:00 am | Bonners Ferry Herald Kootenai Valley Resource Initiative will hold a Grizzly Bear Sub-Committee Meeting at 10 a.m. Thursday, Jan. 23, in the Memorial Hall of the Boundary County Fairgrounds. The agenda will include Kim ...

Comments

Read More

Contact Us

(208) 267-5521
Po Box 539
Bonners Ferry, Id 83805

©2020 Bonners Ferry Herald Terms of Use Privacy Policy
X
X